Michaela’s widower breaks down as he recalls “wonderful, wonderful” wife

John McAreavey and Mark Harte leave the supreme court in Port Louis, Mauritius after the widower gave evidence on day 12 of the trial. (Paul Faith/PA)

MICHAELA McAreavey’s widower broke down in court today as he described the moment he found his new bride strangled in their hotel room in Mauritius.

John McAreavey also revealed that police handcuffed and left him alone in a room for more than five hours in the wake of his wife Michaela’s murder, with one officer telling him, “What are you crying about? You’re young, you’ll get another wife.”


The Co Down accountant said his life ended when his “wonderful, wonderful” wife died on their honeymoon.

Giving evidence at the trial of the two hotel workers accused of murdering the 27-year-old teacher, Mr McAreavey said he fell to his knees and prayed after trying desperately to revive her.

“Michaela was cold,” he said, his voice halting. “And her lips were blue and I kept on just saying ‘Michaela, Michaela, wake up, come on, come on’.

“Then I could see this mark on her neck. I didn’t know what was going on, I didn’t know what was going on. I was grabbing her and trying to press on her chest and trying to attempt CPR. I don’t even know CPR.

“I was just holding her in my arms, telling her to come on, just to wake up.”

Mr McAreavey is appearing as a prosecution witness in the high-profile case at the Supreme Court in the island’s capital, Port Louis.

The Ballygawley woman was found strangled in her room at the luxury Legends Hotel last January, just two weeks after her wedding in St Malachy’s Church, Ballymacilroy.

The prosecution claim hotel employees Sandip Moneea and Avinash Treebhoowoon murdered Mrs McAreavey when she returned to the room at the exclusive beachside complex and caught them stealing.


Wearing a grey suit and white shirt in court today, Mr McAreavey revealed how he was treated by police following his wife’s death. He said four officers drove him away from the hotel in a jeep.

“Further up the road they pulled in at the side of road and a couple of the policemen got out and they went to side of road to a fast food thing and they got themselves something to eat,” he said.

He said he was then taken to a derelict-looking building where he was put in a room and officers took off his shirt and examined him for marks.

“I could see what was going through their minds,” he said. “They put handcuffs on me and I was sat down on a bench.”
Mr McAreavey said he was then left alone.

“It was for at least five hours, I’m sure, more – actually it was late into the night.”

He said he was eventually released after making a statement and returned to the hotel where a nurse cared for him through the night.

Paul Faith/PA


The Strabane Chronicle is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 15 Main Street, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland, BT82 8AS