A LOCAL community group has said a young girl caught up in a terrifying weekend house fire deserves a bravery award for her heroics.
The 12-year-old was at home with her mum and brother when fire gripped their Springhill bungalow after 8.30am on Saturday morning. The house was gutted by the blaze and a 20-year-old man has appeared in court charged with arson.
Since the fire it has emerged that tragedy was only narrowly averted by the heroics of the young girl. On discovering the blaze, the schoolgirl locked herself in the bathroom before clambering out the window and into her brother’s bedroom. She pulled the boy to safety before raising the alarm.
All three members of the family needed hospital treatment following the fire but have since been discharged.
Read the full story in this week's Strabane Chronicle
To read this full story visit your local newsagent and pick up your copy of this week's Strabane Chronicle.