Sigersons will resume their survival bid after nine-week lay-off
A BATTLE for survival in the top flight is about to be re-ignited by Strabane as they bid to complete their Division One campaign a full nine weeks since their last league game.
It won’t be until next Sunday, October 23, that the Sigersons will finally get back to action. They take on Trillick in their penultimate tie in what will be their first outing since losing to Clonoe on August 20.
That prolonged break has included their disappointing championship exit against Dromore, but has been mostly due to the hectic schedule of Tyrone Senior Championship matches during the intervening period.
Team manager, Palor McNulty, says the task of keeping the players focused on their bid to retain senior status hasn’t been easy considering the lack of competitive matches.
“We have found the going very tough in terms of keeping the momentum going and that’s unfortunate because the early part of the league was completed really well,” he said.
“Our last two games against Trillick and Errigal Ciaran are really tough ones because both teams have won league and championship titles during the past few years. Hopefully, the fact that we’re at home in both can make a difference.
“The break has been especially difficult as well because I thought that up until August we were starting to get things together again. There were a few defeats, but we competed well against Coalisland, Omagh and Clonoe.
“The total focus of the panel now is to retain that senior place. We definitely want to stay up and the players will put all their efforts and talents into achieving that aim.
“We’re taking a bit of comfort from the way things have gone in the league so far. After a slow start, I think the fairly young panel has grown in experience and is a lot more competitive at this stage than during the first half of the season.”
SEE FULL STORY IN TOMORROW’S STRABANE CHRONICLE