THREE abandoned caravans are believed to have been deliberately set alight at a traveller site along the bypass in Strabane.
Firefighters were deployed to the scene shortly around 9pm on Tuesday after the fires broke out. One of the caravans was completely destroyed in the attack.
It is understood that local frustration with the caravans has been growing over recent weeks, as Derry and Strabane District Council and the Housing Executive appear to remain at loggerheads over the Greenbrae halting site.
The site which has become a notorious eyesore was closed to travellers almost a year ago. Some members of the travelling community moved to a site just a few yards away beside the Tinnies and have vowed to stay there until Greenbrae has been cleaned up.
Earlier this month, the council said responsibility for Greenbrae rested with the Housing Executive. The Executive say the clean-up operation is being halted by a number of unclaimed caravans on the site.
Councillor Paul Gallagher said the fire on Tuesday, only served to emphasise the need to find a resolution.
“There is a lot of frustration among local people who have to live here,” he said.
“The site has become a total blight on the area. Imagine coming to Strabane looking to see the Tinnies and then they look across the road and see that mess.”
Posted: 5:33 pm March 17, 2017