Roes maintain double bid by seeing off Fintona

Owen Roes defeated Fintona to secure last four place

Owen Roes…1-14
OWEN Roes overcame some early stubborn resistance from Fintona to run out ten-point winners at Killyclogher St Mary’s in Ballinamullan on Sunday.
League champions Owen Roes were endeavouring to take a step further in their bid for a title double and book a semi-final spot.
It was all-square five minutes from the break on 0-3 each but then the Roes scored 1-3 in seven minutes to lead over the interval by 1-6 to 0-3 and Fintona lost centre-half forward Sean Connolly to a red card just before the short whistle.
Tempers got frayed following the half-time whistle but things settled and the teams resumed at the restart with the Pearses chasing that six-point deficit. Fintona required some early scores to find their feet once more but not enough came along to make a significant impact on the situation.
Play began with Aaron McCarney landing a Fintona free before Tony Devine scored a long-range point for the Roes. Pauric Kelly and Tony Devine again swapped scores plus Cathal McShane put Owen Roes one in front on 20 minutes.
McCarney tied matters up with a Fintona point but McShane, Ryan McAleer and full-back Stephen Kelly each pointed for the Roes by the 30th minute. Ronan McNulty subsequently fired the ball in for Michael Dooher to find the net after 32 minutes and Fintona were then reduced to fourteen as Owen Roes headed in six clear.
McShane and Seamus Dooher sent over Roes scores not long after play began again, McCarney replying with a Fintona free but the Pearses were seven points behind at this stage of proceedings.
Gerard McShane added to the top league team’s tally but Cathal Starrs replied at the other end.  Seamus Dooher rounded off a sweeping Roes move with a point midway through the half  and Gerard Devine made it 1-11 to 0-6.
Ronan McNulty hoisted over two scores in quick succession for Owen Roes, Aaron McCarney trying to find a way through on goal in between but he was thwarted by tight defensive play.
Midfielder  Tony Devine completed a trio of points in play as Owen Roes extended their advantage and a Cillian McCann point late on signalled Fintona’s last score of the game. 

OWEN Roe Leckpatrick may have come up short against Coalisland in the U18 Grade Two Minor Championship final on...

OWEN Roes promotion bid ended in bitter disappointment when they were narrowly defeated 2-11 to 1-11 by Loughmacrory in...

THE girls of Glenelly seized their moment of destiny to record a glorious victory in yesterday’s Ulster intermediate club...


The Strabane Chronicle is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 15 Main Street, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland, BT82 8AS