Second half flourish denies Clann men

Clann na nGael v Tattyreagh

Clann na nGael…1-07


An inspired second half performance from Tattyreagh proved the winning of this game as they outscored their opponents six points to one, to reach the promotion play-off final.


The hosts opened the scoring when Danny Ball split the posts after three minutes and their lead soon stretched to four as Damien Ball intercepted a ball in the Tattyreagh defence and rounded ‘keeper Niall Keyes before slotting home.

The visitors responded with a James Darcy free to leave them trailing by the maximum.

The home side were settling in to the match well and made it a four point game once again with a lovely score from Joseph Kerlin.
Tattyreagh plugged on and were rewarded with the next two scores which got them right back in to the game.

In a well worked move Colin Harkin picked up the ball in the middle and sent it in for James Darcy, the latter unselfishly passing to his brother Aidan who was best positioned to blast home past ‘keeper Patrick McGonigle. The equalising score closely following, coming off the boot of Damien McGloin.

The home side battled back and snuck in front thanks to a good score from Tony Devine.

The next spell was a frantic battle for possession with it all to play for.

The visitors were guilty of poor shooting while the home side edged to a two point lead with a fine score from distance from Adrian Ball.

A pointed free from Danny Ball then extended the Clan’s lead with nine minutes to play in the half.

Three minutes later James Darcy converted a free for the visitors with a simple tap over.

As the half drew to a close the home side had a great chance to extend their lead when the ball was played in to Joseph Kerlin. With the ‘keeper beaten and despite his best efforts – and thanks to a goal line clearance from Brendan Armstrong – the goal eluded him.

Aaron Devine converted a late 45 to leave Clann na nGael three ahead at the break.

The visitors re-emerged all guns blazing and had it took two early wides before Eoin Cullinan fisted over on 33 minutes followed closely by a Colin Harkin effort which snuck between the posts. Tattyreagh battled hard in all areas of the field as they closed down their opponents before drawing level from a James Darcy free.

With 20 minutes to go it was anybody’s game. There were then a couple of wides from the hosts while the visitors were all too often guilty of balls short to the ‘keeper’s hands.

In the 48th minute Tattyreagh took the lead as Colin Harkin snuck another effort between the posts as his influence grew. With 11 minutes to go James Darcy sought to set up Eoin McGloin in front of goal but Patrick Harkin made the interception to deny.

On 52 minutes Clann na nGael grabbed what would be their sole score of the half as Danny Ball converted a free to draw the sides level once again. They kept pushing right to the end but ultimately failed to find range.
With four to go Joe Cartin pointed a fine effort for the visitors before the scoring was completed right at the death by a brilliant Colin Harkin point from out by the line which copper fastened a deserved victory for the visitors.

NEW Clann na nGael boss Noel Slane admits that he has had his eyes opened by the quality and...

  DESPITE registering back-to-back Championship victories in fairly emphatic matter, attacker Gareth McDermott insists that Clann na nGael remain...

AMID all the fall-out from the Tyrone Final fiasco, history was made elsewhere in the County when Castlederg were...


The Strabane Chronicle is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 15 Main Street, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland, BT82 8AS