Red Hands earn a draw with Rossies





A MONSTER score from keeper Niall Morgan with just three minutes remaining rescued a point for Tyrone in a dramatic National League Division One clash at Dr Hyde Park on Sunday.

The signs looked ominous for the visitors when they trailed by seven points coming up to half-time but an improved and gutsy effort after the break earned them a share of the spoils.

Despite the boost of an early Peter Harte pointed free, Tyrone played second fiddle to the hosts for much of the initial period, albeit the Rossies had the advantage of a strong breeze at their backs.

Full-back Conor Daly set the tone for what was a rousing first half display by the hosts when he belted over a quality equaliser from near the right sideline.

Indeed the Rossies entire ten point scoring tally before the interval came from open play, a stat which speaks dividends for their attacking ruthlessness and verve.

Tyrone’s only score from play in the first arrived courtesy of full-back Ronan McNamee who surged along the endline to fist over, though the Aghyaran ace was to limp out of the fray shortly afterwards.

The Rossies then embarked on a relentless scoring spree. They hit six points on the bounce in the run-up to the break as the Red Hands struggled to quell their energy and dynamism. Shane Kilroran (twice), Ultan Harney, Donie Smith, Ronan Daly and Niall Kilroy all put the seal on some enterprising approach work with brilliant finishes.

Tyrone’s sole riposte was another Peter Harte free but at the break, they had their work cut out for them not to fall to yet another league loss.

Despite another brace of Harte pointed frees, it seemed that the match had taken a decisive turn in the Rossies direction when Harney fisted to the net from Conor Cox’s centre in the 43rd minute, after Morgan had intercepted the initial cross.

Trailing 1-10 to 0-6, the Red Hands appeared set for another forlorn afternoon, but the trademark Tyrone character and tenacity which was absent last week, resurfaced as they staged a rousing late fightback.

Morgan banged over a long range free and then in the 51st minute Coney’s speculative delivery was punched gleefully to the net by McShane.

With the home side growing increasingly apprehensive, their early confidence having disappeared, Tyrone bossed the possession and territorial stakes, seeking a lifeline.

Darren McCurry tucked over a tidy point on the turn, before another long range free by his Edendork clubmate Morgan left the bare minimum between the sides. And it was Morgan again who took the bull by the horns with that monster strike which brought them back level.


The Strabane Chronicle is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 4 Castle Street, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland, BT82 8AB