TWO women were treated for injuries sustained in a fire which gutted a house in Lisnafin Park in Strabane last night.
While the women did not require hospital treatment, the house was extensively damaged in the blaze which broke out around 8pm.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally in the kitchen of the house. A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) said, “We received a call at 8.05pm on Wednesday, (March 13), to attend a fire at a mid-terrace house in Lisnafin Park, Strabane.
“Fire-fighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire, which started in the kitchen, and prevented it from spreading to adjoining properties. The two women occupants of the house were treated by Ambulance Service personnel at the scene but did not require hospital treatment. The Fire Emergency Support Service (FESS) attended the incident to provide humanitarian assistance to the occupiers due to the extensive fire damage to the property.
“A smoke alarm was fitted in the house however we are unable to determine if it was sounding due to the damage caused to it by the fire.
“The cause of the fire is accidental and is believed to have started in the kitchen. Four fire appliances attended this incident from Strabane, Newtownstewart and Northland Fire Stations. Fire-fighters also isolated the mains gas supply to the property and carried out gas monitor readings in the adjacent properties. All readings were zero,” they continued.
“Following this accidental house fire, we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about our ‘STOP Fire’ campaign and the basic fire safety measures everyone should take to keep safe from fire. Fit a Smoke alarm, Test it every week, look out for the Obvious dangers of fire and Plan your escape routes. For more fire safety advice visit our website www.nifrs.org”
Posted: 4:24 pm March 14, 2019