THE organiser of a protest against a proposed new mobile phone base station which is planned for the Melmount Road says he is delighted at the support he has received.
Ciaran Boyle held a protest at the site of the planned base station last Thursday afternoon and he explained, “We had a big crowd, around 150 people turned up which is great for the first time we have tried to organise a protest like this.
“We also have some documents/information which we have been circulating around the town and are asking people to sign to show their opposition to the plans.
“So far we have around 600 signatures, we are hoping to get it to 2,000 and then we will deliver it to the council, and we will be getting a receipt from them so they can’t say they never received the petition. If you are interested in signing it you can contact me on Ciaran Michael Charles on Facebook.”
Calling for all local councillors to support his campaign Ciaran added, “We did have some politicians at the protest, Daniel McCrossan and Cara Hunter from the SDLP, and independent councillor Raymond Barr has also pledged his support. But we need more.
“We need all our local councillors to come out against this so that we can make sure this base station does not go ahead.”
Details of the proposed planning application were revealed to councillors recently. The application is being proposed by Telefonica, the company which runs O2. The base station would be located at 11 Melmount Road and will consist of a 17.5m pole with four cabinets.
Those behind the base station have said while it is initially to provide 4G it may be used for 5G at a later date.