SION Swifts Ladies manager Tony McGinley is optimistic that the
Women’s Premiership can be played later in the year.
In a statement released by the Northern Ireland Football League on
Tuesday evening the governing body indicated it’s intention to start
and complete the 2020 women’s season.
The statement read, “It remains a desire of the NI Football League to
contest the 2020 Women’s Premiership season later this year when it is safe to do so.”
That is in stark contrast to what’s currently happening in the men’s
game. All leagues have been ended with immediate effect apart from the Danske Bank Premiership whose member clubs have until 5pm this evening (Thursday) to decide on whether to resume the season in a shortened format or to call time on it altogether.
McGinley said he had been encouraged by recent events and having been in constant contact with the other five Premiership clubs was in no doubt that there was a desire and appetite to have a competitive
season when it is safe to do so.
The initial plan was to have a 20-game campaign were all the teams
would play each other four times. McGinley accepts that the number of games would have to be reduced but insisted there is a determination among clubs to have a limited season in some shape or form.
“Three weeks ago I would have said the season wasn’t going to happen but now I think it will, I genuinely do,” said the Sion supremo.
“That’s my opinion based on the fact that the ladies season down South is going to be contested. They arewell down the line to making that happen.
“NIFL and the IFA have done nothing for the women’s game up here at the moment, they would rather we went away. But the six clubs are
determined to have a season.”
FULL STORY IN TODAY’S STRABANE CHRONICLE OR SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DIGITAL COPIES